Saturday, October 18, 2008

When It Rains It Pours!

Well if you read my post before, this week Jaiden was sick Monday afternoon through Wednesday. I used most all of the personal time I had at work to stay home with her. She had high fever and puking. I made an appt for her to see the doctor Wednesday but we never made it. Reason being, I cut a tendon on the top of my foot that controls the movement in my big toe.


Wednesday recap- I got up at 4:30 a.m to get to work as early as I could because I could only work until 11 a.m. because Eric HAD to go in to work. He had managers from other offices there and an interviewee coming in. So I was up early (and I am not a morning person) to get some hours in because I didn't have enough hours to take. If you take unpaid time off you will get written up at work. Came home and after a couple hours Jaiden was feeling fine. I was a little irritated because again I am at home taking what little sick time I have when she probably could have gone to daycare. So I thought while I was home I would make a good supper (for once). I ended up baking a ham all afternoon, making cheesy potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn, and even baked an Oreo cake for dessert. Well I took the ham out of the oven put it on a platter to cut and carried the casserole dish to pour out the juices and when putting the glass casserole dish back on the counter it broke. It fell right on top on my foot and sliced it open. Eric is not home yet and I am bleeding everywhere. I soaked 4 washcloths. I yelled for Jaiden to bring me my phone and more towels. I told her not to come in the kitchen because there was glass and blood everywhere. Of course she had to look. She did really well, she just kept saying ouch really slow and staring at it. I called Eric and he was still about 20 minutes away. I hobbled to the bathroom and because I think ahead, shaved the bottom portion of my leg because I knew my pant leg would be pulled up and well let's just say it had been a while since I had shaved. While doing that I realized that I could not move my big toe. I though great, knowing I was in for more than just stitches. So I get to the ER and wait and wait. They try to get a hold of a foot doctor and wouldn't you know it, they were all in Des Moines for conferences. So they went ahead and stitched it up and made me an appt for Monday with the foot doc. I am not real excited about this. On Monday, 5 days after the cut healing, they are going to have to take out my stitches and re-open my wound to fix the tendon. So really I have to re-live the experience from Wednesday night. Anyway, after getting home at 1 a.m from the ER I went to bed and had to get up and go to work in the morning because as you read above- I used all my personal time staying home with Jaiden. Below is a picture of my cut after they cleaned it out and waiting for someone to come in to give me stitches. I am so glad Eric thought to take a picture of it.



Jaiden spent the whole evening with us because the neighbors were not home when we left and we do not know (or trust) anyone else to watch her. She was wide eyed and watched the whole thing. She was perfect. When they asked what happened I told them I dropped a casserole dish on it and she pipes in and says "yep no more casseroles in our house", then when they said they would stitch it up she looked and me with big eyes and says "mom, you know there going to use a needle to put stitches in". I am just glad that the weekend is here and I can catch up on my rest. Eric has been wonderful and has cooked and cleaned since it happened. Jaiden thinks from now on I need to wear shoes in the kitchen when I cook and told me I should cook with paper plates from now on too :)

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

Ouch! I agree with Jaiden,wearing shoes in the kitchen may not be such a bad idea. Although, just staying away from cooking sounds like a plan also. Hope it heals quickly!

Aubrey said...

That is officially the grossest thing I have seen all day!